Sing a happy song...or not

Global Smurfs Day.  That can only mean a blue bow.
I'm not a big fan of the Smurfs.  They're too damn cutesy for my taste, and they're kinda dim-witted too.  That said, I did watch a few episodes in my day and I got acquainted with...well, with some of 'em.  Given my fondness for Oscar the Grouch, it should be no surprise that Grouchy Smurf was a favorite of mine.  He was...well, a grouch!  He was eternally in a bad mood, and he said "I hate" a lot.  I think he'd have made good friends with Oscar the Grouch and with Tardar Sauce.
It turns out that Grouchy was bitten by a fly long ago and that altered his personality significantly (if one goes by the comics, at least).  He does have a soft spot, admitting his fondness for Smurfette and for Baby Smurf.  Both characters reciprocate Grouchy's positive feelings, and that led to a comical misunderstanding on my part.  My five-year-old self was watching an episode of the 1981 animated series, and...I don't remember how, but at the end of the episode poor Grouchy ended up jettisoned into a tree.  The resulting conversation between Smurfette and Grouchy went (more or less) like this.

SMURFETTE:  Grouchy!  Are you alright???
GROUCHY (having landed in a bird's nest):  I HATE "tweet-tweet-tweet-tweet"!!!

Or that's what SHE said.  For a long, long time, I swore that Smurfette called Grouchy "BITCHY"!!!  Of course she DIDN'T call him "Bitchy," but at the time I'd have bet my life that she did.  Daddy thought this was a riot, of course.  Admittedly "Bitchy" would've been a good moniker for Grouchy!

Despite my affection for Grouchy Smurf, his penchant for saying "I hate" is not the most endearing habit.  I said "I hate" a lot when I was in high school, I knew it was a bad habit, and it took forever to break it.  Usually if I said "I hate," I actually meant "I don't care for," "I'm not good at," or "I'm afraid of"...but I said "I hate" instead.  Grouchy Smurf apparently does the same thing, but only Smurfette knows it.  Don't make a habit of being negative, kiddies.  You'll have more friends if you do.  

Hey, I wonder if Smurfs bleed blue???  Food for thought.  That would only mean that their blood has a lot of copper in it, like some species of crab (LOL).

Smurfy love,
RagingMoon1987

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let freedom ring

Pac-Man fever

The Marauder's Map