Raised by boomers

Today is Baby Boomers Recognition Day.  Being raised by baby boomers means getting to hear the good stuff on the radio growing up. 
Yep, both Mama and Daddy were/are baby boomers, and they were a bit older when they had my sister and me so we were raised a little on the strict side.  Not that there was no love, of course.  Far from it!  Mama and Daddy were just extra-protective, and when I grew into a smart-a$$, know-it-all teenager I felt kinda stifled.  It was all for the best, though; I had no idea that the boy I had a wild crush on was into drugs, and Mama did.  And on a positive note I got tips from both parents on how to dress with a retro edge (which I loved to do in high school).  I wore my hair long and my jeans shabby, with necklaces piled on and earrings to my shoulders.  Some of the other kids probably made fun of me behind my back, but as long as I didn't catch wind of it all was good.

Oh yes, and the music.  I think I've said before that my dad was a hard rocker and my mom was a Motown fan, but...well, I'll say it again.  Daddy liked the Who and Led Zeppelin, and darn it, I never thought to ask him who he liked better!  Both bands had a crazy drummer with his own unique technique, a quiet bassist who made a lot of racket with his guitar, a technically wicked (somewhat eccentric) guitarist, and a flaxen-haired front man with a voice like thunder.  Robert Plant had the better vocal range, I'll admit.  As for Mama, Aretha Franklin and Stevie Wonder were her after-school go-to's.  She also liked Elton John and the Dave Clark Five.  Both parents liked Chicago, Electric Light Orchestra, and the Alan Parsons Project, and a fair amount of disco, and of course, the Beatles.  Everyone appears to like the Beatles, LOL.

To my considerable chagrin the term "boomer" is now used pejoratively, kinda like "Karen."  And like the term "Karen," I kinda resent that.  Some of the finest people I know are boomers.  They have a lot more common sense than today's generation (I'm including myself in that group), and most of 'em have/had great work ethic.  Oh yeah, and they had the best music, LOL.  

Cheers,
RagingMoon1987

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let freedom ring

Pac-Man fever

The Marauder's Map