Truckin'

Etsy shop is BlushAndBashfulVB.

Truth be told, I'm not a huge Grateful Dead fan.  I have nothing against them, but the only song I'm really familiar with is "Touch of Grey."  My sister, knowing how I love skeletons and the macabre, yelled at me to "Get in here and see this," and I got to know the song through the music video, which depicts the band as skeletons for much of the song.  I loved how the audience just rolls with it.  Hey, Jerry and company are skeletons?  So what?  Then about halfway through the third verse the band comes back to life and the audience cheers even harder.  I love it, all four minutes and fifty-three-or-so seconds of it.  It also didn't hurt that the song is damn catchy.  LOL, I listen to it all the time, video or no.

As for my local oldies station...well, as many fans as the Grateful Dead have the only song of theirs that got regular airplay was "Truckin'," hence the title of this particular post.  Okay, I lied, I know three Grateful Dead songs, but the only thing I'll say about "Casey Jones" is that I hate that particular song.  I didn't like "Truckin'" at first either, but it grew on me, particularly the bit in the middle about Sweet Jane, who lived on "reds, vitamin C, and cocaine."  Not the greatest way to live, but that's what people did back then...and it's probably what a lot of folks still do!  I don't, but...well, having been close to it I refuse to judge.  Pain pills are dangerous, y'all.

Moving on, my uncle from St. Louis, whom I view as something of a music connoisseur, said that he enjoyed seeing the Grateful Dead live because he could tell they didn't have anything planned out.  A lot of the bands I like (other old stuff like the Who, the Moody Blues, Chicago, that kind of stuff) usually have a set list put together before a show, but my uncle said that the Grateful Dead didn't act like they did.  He said that after one song they'd look back and forth at each other like they were mentally saying "Okay, now what do we play?"  Then they'd just pick something and go with it.  Neither my uncle nor I really know if that's what the Dead did, but he appreciated their apparent spontaneity. 

Reds and pills,
RagingMoon1987 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let freedom ring

Pac-Man fever

Colour my world